Margot Hardy Gallery
Freedom from Fear Travelling Photographic exhibition
Freedom from Fear - Installation Shot of Photo Displays
Exhibition in foyer of Gosford Council
Bon Van Nguyen
Photographer, Dominic Fijac
- Margot Hardy Gallery, Building 23, Bankstown Campus (View Map)
- 27 Aug - 8 Oct 2010
- Monday - Friday, 9.00 am - 5.00pm
Freedom from Fear
The Freedom from Fear Travelling Photographic exhibition has arrived back in Sydney after twelve months travelling around the state gathering new portraits of refugees as it went. Eight portraits with stories told by each refugee left Sydney after Refugee Week 2009 and now there are forty portraits with accompanying stories in the exhibition. They are images of refugees living peacefully in NSW in places as diverse as Armidale, Inverell, Coffs Harbour, Gosford, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Newcastle, Orange, Bathurst and Taree and Sydney. The significance of this exhibition now due to its size and scope is considerable.
- It is of historical and cultural significance as a representation of the refugee presence in rural and metropolitan NSW in 2009-2010
- It recalls much of the devastating impact on humanity of events in the history of world politics across five continents over the last 60 years.
- It demonstrates the resilience and energy of the human spirit and the capacity for renewal and love in the face of terrible loss.
- It is about the ever present human issues of migration, identity and belonging.
- It is also about the huge capacity of the host people to welcome those who need a new home into their own communities.
The Freedom from Fear Travelling Photographic Exhibition has been sponsored by the NSW DET AMEP Consortia led by NSW AMES, a partnership of English language providers and support services which deliver the Adult Migrant English Program for the Federal Department of Immigration and Citizenship across NSW. It has grown to its current size as a result of the vision and imagination, commitment and hard work of those involved in some capacity with refugees in each of its ports of call in the state.
For an example of a refugee's story, please see Freedom from Fear: Bon Van Nguyen.